Visions of Vimy
The Vimy Memorial sits on land given to Canada for its use by a grateful France in 1922. Unveiled on July 26th, 1936, the Vimy Memorial serves as a monument for peace and not a celebration of war; it is a place to mourn and remember.
"Visions of Vimy" traces the creation of the Vimy Memorial by Walter S Allward. His vision of how the memorial should look came to him in a dream. The memorial took 11 years to complete at the cost of 1.5 million dollars. The processes Allward used in the design and later construction, of the memorial are highlighted in the Museum’s "Visions of Vimy" display.
The "Visions of Vimy" display is the work of Kayla Keenan, a Queen's University student with supervision from the curator of the museum, Annette Gillis and Archivist Jeremy Heil from the Queen's University Archives, (the location of the Walter S. Allward Vimy fonds). This exhibit was possible due to the generosity of the City of Kingston Heritage Fund and Kingston City Council.
If you would like to see the original plaster and wood models, the Museum has Canada Bereft (shown on the right) as well as the two mourners on display.